We have discovered that the reference populations varied from one test lab to another. We have found that 23andme.com compare the customer DNAs against more Asian populations than other DNA test labs. 23andme provides the percentage of ethnic makeup coming from the following Asian populations:
- Korean (North or South Korea)
- Yakut (Asian population from Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Ukraine).
- Mongolian (Asian population from Mongolia)
- Japanese (Asian population from Japan)
- Chinese (Asian population from China)
- Broadly East Asian (This will tell you if you have origins from East Asia including all the origins cited before).
- Southeast Asian (Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines…)
If you have Asian ancestors, it means you are going to get more accuracy if you undertake the 23andme.com DNA test rather than another one. You can find below the table that is displayed to people who undertake the 23andme.com. People with an Asian origin would see below a percentage of a particular Asian population.